Website City of Everett
Community Planning Specialist
Posting ID: 2023-
Posting Date: 03/06/2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Department: Planning & Development
Location: 484 Broadway, Everett, MA
Salary: Up to $60,000
Schedule: Full-Time-35 hours per week
About the City of Everett
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett, prides itself on its progress while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City, Everett is now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
Everett’s Community Planning Specialist will work closely with the Planning and Development Department to help connect residents with past, current, and future projects and resources. This person will work to create outreach, engage residents, foster local connections with organizations and state agencies, and collaborate with the Communications and Planning Departments. The position will focus on Everett projects including, and not limited to, raising awareness about utility support, small business programs, and housing resources. Outreach for these projects will be conducted through organizing and participating in events, constructing videos, and social media materials (with approval from the Communications Department), canvassing, and networking. Their work will be to advocate for the City’s goals and increase participation from stakeholders to strengthen Everett’s efforts for inclusive productive changes within the community.
This role includes the selected candidate filling the duties as the City’s Energy Advocate. These duties are expected to take approximately 20-30 hrs. per week of the selected candidate’s work hours. The energy advocacy work of the Community Planning Specialist position includes helping to lead Everett’s participation in the Mass Save Community First Partnership (CFP). The CFP is a community outreach program administered by local gas and electric providers, National
Grid (“Mass Save Program Sponsors”), to increase participation in energy efficiency programs, especially among renters, landlords, low-moderate-income households, language-isolated households, and small businesses. This is an exciting opportunity for an organized, people-oriented individual who is passionate about expanding access to utility support and energy-saving programs in our community while working as part of a cross-sector team to create a positive impact.
Duties and Responsibilities
Engage residents and small businesses to increase participation among priority groups
- Demonstrate self-motivation and commitment to this position by leading public engagement with the guidance of the partnering organizations, the Planning Department, and City staff members
- Assist with the development and implementation of a Community-Based Social Marketing campaign to promote community-wide behavioral change
- Connect residents and small businesses with energy efficiency programs and products through public engagement strategies, such as events, presentations, and local media
- Actively communicate with residents to guide them through applications and support programs
Participate in cross-community learning and feedback opportunities
- Attend all training and orientation activities for the Energy Advocate role
- Serve as an ambassador for residents by advocating for programs and supporting the administration of surveys
- Address customer feedback and concerns to better address barriers to resources
Build partnerships to expand reach and facilitate smooth access to programs
- Recruit and support local nonprofit organizations to help with designing and implementing a local Community-Based Social Marketing campaign
- Collaborate across a diverse group of partners, including community-based organizations and municipalities to increase public engagement and participation
- Consult with Mass Save Program Sponsors on customer-specific questions to help customers access energy efficiency programs and products
- Support coordination between Mass Save program vendors and customers
Track and report local participation barriers and outreach efforts
- Contribute to planning, implementing, and tracking all local CFP deliverables.
- Track program participation barriers by building relationships with program applicants and supporting them through programs enrollment processes.
- Maintain data about ongoing outreach efforts and impact
- Meet with program implementation vendors and Mass Save Program Sponsors to communicate program findings, tactics, and report on local progress. Page 3 of 3
- Demonstrated ability to lead public engagement and community outreach initiative
- Bilingual in Spanish or Portuguese is preferred
- Ability to input data in designated and approved program software
- Experience communicating and working with populations diverse in language, socio-economic status, race/ethnicity, and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to complete and submit standardized program reporting material
- Ability to work with a group and on individual projects as assigned
- Ability to communicate, stay organized, and be comfortable with public speaking
- Creativity in outreach, engagement, and marketing approaches
- After appropriate training, the ability to track program participation barriers
- Ability to attend meetings during non-business hours (nights and weekends) and report on Community Partner Team progress
- Commitment to increasing participation in Mass Save energy efficiency programs
- Collaborate with other team members, including Community Solutions Partner, Sustainability Planner, and Planning team.
City Hall is open Monday & Thursday, 8 AM to 7:30 PM and Tuesday &Wednesday 8 AM to 5:00 PM. The selected candidate will be required to work until 7:30 PM one (1) day a week in lieu of working on Fridays when City Hall is closed.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: email@example.com
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, please call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org