Website City of Everett
Posting ID: 2021-0039
Posting Date: November 17, 2021
Department: Library Department
Location: Parlin Library
Salary: Determined by educational attainment per Collective Bargaining Agreement
Schedule: Full-Time/35 Hours per week, including one evening a week, and one Saturday within a rotating schedule
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett prides itself on the progress it’s made while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
The Everett Public Libraries is seeking an enthusiastic, innovative, and flexible individual who wants to join a team committed to providing excellent library services to patrons of all ages in the City of Everett.
The Head of Circulation supervises part-time and full-time staff at the circulation desks. The Head of Circulation reports to the Director of the Everett Public Libraries.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Supervises and participates in all operations of the Circulation Department
- Staffs the circulation desk on a regular schedule providing exceptional customer service
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates full- and part-time circulation staff; assigns work and conducts staff meetings
- Provides reader’s advisory service and general information on library services; assists and instructs patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities
- Takes recommendations for items to be purchased and programs from patrons.
- Assists in preparing for library programs
- Receives and resolves circulation-related problems pleasantly
- Assists with interpretations and enforcement of library policies
- Implements, communicates, and follows local and network library policies
- Develops, implements, and maintains a manual of departmental procedures
- Maintains a working knowledge of Commonwealth Catalog, the ILS used by the NOBLE Network, and Evergreen with particular emphasis on the circulation utilities
- Represents Everett on relevant NOBLE committees and working groups, as well as regional and state committees as appropriate
- Attends professional workshops, seminars, and continuing educational opportunities. If without an MLS, attends 1-2 library science courses a year until degree is obtained.
- Participates in staff meetings and provides analysis and input into policy and procedure development
- Keeps current in trends and best practices in the library world
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree, three years of professional library experience, experience in automated circulation management, supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. MLS candidate from an ALA accredited university is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with the public
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience with Evergreen is a plus
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively across all departments
- Ability to perform basic troubleshooting of library technology
- Able to sit or stand for prolonged periods; pull book carts, bend, lift, carry and shelve library materials
- Ability to speak two or more languages a plus
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You can apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/assistant-treasurer-f2ce781b5ed0d133 or send cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.