Website City of Everett
Posting ID: 2022-0033
Posting Date: 06/27/2022
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Department: Library Department
Location: Everett Public Libraries
Salary: $17 per hour
Schedule: 19.5 hours per week
Shift: Evenings Monday through Friday & 9-5 on Saturdays
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett, prides itself on its progress while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City is now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
Summary of Position:
As a part-time Librarian Assistant, you perform various duties that maintain library technical support and user services. You will work closely with other library staff and be supervised by the Library Director and Adult Services Librarian. Each day you will utilize your attention to detail and interpersonal skills to maintain clerical work, print patron materials, perform reader advisory, help patrons find research and reading materials, use the online catalog system, and request items from an associated library.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sort publications, books, and other literary items and return them to their proper shelves and storage areas.
- Locate library materials, including periodicals, books, magazines, and electronic resources, and assist in the creation, routing, revision, and approval of various online documents.
- Assist patrons when looking for reading or research materials, and instruct patrons in the use of computers, scanners, and photocopiers
- Set up new accounts and issue library cards, and maintain library equipment in proper working order.
- Maintain records of new and used items received, issued, stored and returned, and filed according to the library’s system.
- Perform clerical duties, such as sorting mail, answering phones, filing, photocopying, word processing, and mailing out letters, regularly communicating with supervisors regarding changes, and seeking to streamline processes where appropriate.
- Generate reports every month.
- Open and close the library following regular business hours, secure library equipment, and address disruptions with tact.
- Assist the public in effectively using library materials by offering reader and reference assistance to all age levels – children and adults-using the online catalog and accessing the Internet.
- Perform Library Assistant duties at the Everett Public Libraries. Work will be performed at the Circulation Desk, Children and Teen Areas, Computer Area, and Information Desk.
- Duties may include checking in and out materials, collecting fines, handling ILL transactions and reserve requests, assisting patrons visiting the library and the computer area – basic instruction on how to use available software; processing new materials.
- Community outreach, including some offsite work, may be required, such as hosting a library information booth at community events and visiting school classrooms and organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Library Director as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Masters of Library Science (MLS)/Masters of Library Information Science (MLIS), currently enrolled in an MLS/MLIS program, or intending to take MLS/MLIS classes within one year after hiring or equivalent experience.
- Proven knowledge of computers and their uses in the library environment (Windows; Microsoft Office; G-Suite, Internet) is required. Good organizational skills, strong customer service skills, and a team player with creativity and initiative. Bilingual (English, Spanish or Portuguese) is preferred.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to serve a diverse community with tact, confidence, and enthusiasm.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff.
- Ability to troubleshoot library equipment.
How to Apply:
You can apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/part-time-librarian-assistant-5c79492ba2268b9f or, please send resumes to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability-related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us