Website City of Everett
Posting ID: 2021-0027
Posting Date: August 17, 2021
Department: Health Department
Location: City Hall – 484 Broadway
Salary: $46,762.72 – $59,089.21
Schedule: Full-Time/35 Hours per week
First consideration will be given to those who apply within the first 14 days.
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett prides itself on the progress it’s made while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
The School Nurse works within the public school system and at other city programs and schools as assigned by the Supervising Nurse and performs nursing services deemed necessary to contribute to the development of a healthy school community, minimize absence, and create an optimal environment of health and well being or the city’s school of the city’s school children.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Health assessment, medical treatment, and health counseling of students.
- Medication administration.
- Development, implementation, and ongoing evaluation of individualized medication administration care plans and individualized health care plans.
- Collaboration with other health care providers and school personnel regarding the health of students.
- Provide emergency care to any individual in the area of injury or sudden illness.
- Organization and implementation of all Massachusetts Department of Public Health mandated programs, including health screenings (vision, hearing, heights, weights, scoliosis) and immunization surveillance. Referral of students with health problems to appropriate resources.
- Maintain comprehensive and cumulative health records on all students using the computer database program X2, and report any discrepancies.
- Collects and maintains public health/school health data and prepares reports concerning public health/school health activities as the Health Department requires.
- Health promotion within the school and community.
- Prevention and control of communicable disease with the schools.
- Reporting and investigation of communicable diseases according to state regulations.
- Staffing immunization clinics.
- Educate and assists school personnel in achieving and maintaining sanitary standards in school, including universal precautions.
- Place timely orders for necessary medical and support supplies required in the school nurse office in each school.
- Periodic recertification in CPR and First Aid and maintaining proper continuing education credits for RN licensure and DOE certification.
- Any other public health or school nurse-related duties assigned under the Supervising Nurse or Director of Public Health.
The School Nurse reports to and receives supervision from the Supervising Nurse and Director of Public Health. The school physician is available, through the Supervising Nurse, for consultation. The School nurse cooperates with the principal of the school building.
Education and Experience:
- Current Registered Nurse licensure.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification from a recognized provider
- Basic computer, organizational, and communication skills.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 40% sitting, 30% walking, and 30% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and in a generally hazard free environment
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You can apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/school-nurse-1938f34ad9cd1a65 or send cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: EverettHR@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.