The Veterans Office has a vast library of WW11, Korea, and some Vietnam records available. If the Veteran enlisted from the Commonwealth, we would have access via the Veterans records website. Veterans Page

No, under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 59 Section 60, applications for personal exemption cannot be disclosed to the general public. Access to applications is strictly limited to the Assessors and their staff, the Department of Revenue, other state and local officials in the performance of official duties, and designated private auditors. The taxpayer may also have access to or a copy of the applications he/she submitted. The application includes any supporting documentation submitted to substantiate the claim.

However, the exemption record book, which identifies taxpayers granted exemptions and the exemption amounts is a public record and is open to mandatory disclosure under the public records law.

Yes, the Massachusetts State Building Code does allow for the following work to be done without obtaining a building permit. You can find the specific building code here.

As we receive grants and federal funding, our senior center programming is available to all seniors over the age of 60. There is no joining process or joining fee. Our center is open and people come on their own free will. We do, however, require you to register with us for statistical purposes only.

ARPA funds must be used within the guidelines set by the Federal Government. In general, backfilling budget cuts falls outside the guidelines and wouldn’t be allowed, unless there is a specific relationship between the budget cut and COVID-19 impacts.

Yes, you can apply for a 30 day temporary permit for $25 or you can apply for a yearly permit with a cost of $65. Permits are available in the Health Department. Health Department Page

Yes. Food permits are good for 1 year and expire on May 31. Fees for Food is $100, Milk and Cream is $25, Catering is $100 and Mobile Food Vendor is $100.

Food Permits are issued by Inspectional Services Division (ISD) 617-394-2220

All locations handling and or processing any food are required in the state of Massachusetts to have a Serve Safe and an Allergen Awareness Certificate.

Yes, as long as you have received your Tobacco License from the state, a permit can be issued from the City to sell tobacco. Permit applications are available in the Health Department. The Health Department also has the application to apply for your tobacco license with the state. Health Department Page

No! Under Massachusetts law, your retirement account has no provisions for withdrawal under any circumstance, including mortgage down payment or college education.

Yes, flu clinics are held throughout the flu season. For more information please call the Flu Hotline at 617-394-2257. The Flu Hotline is updated each Monday when new information is available.

In an emergency situation Veterans who are registered with the Veteran Affair (VA) medical facility are advised to seek the nearest medical facility and to advise them they are Veterans and need to be treated and transported to the nearest Veterans Hospital.

For all other medical assistance, you can call the VA Hospital at Jamaica Plain at, 617-232-9500.

Yes, depending on your health insurance status. Vaccines are given to children under the age of 19. Please call the Public Health Nurse for more information.

Yes, blood pressure clinics are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 9-11 a.m. For more information please call the Public Health Nurse at 617-394-2314.

If you voluntarily leave employment that began after January 1, 1984 and have less than 10 years of service, you will receive 3% interest. If you have over ten years of service, interest will be refunded to you at the “regular interest” rate, which is currently set at by the State for .01 %. Also, if you are removed or discharged, you will receive the “regular interest” rate regardless of the years of service.

No, tax bills are sent to the assessed owner of the property. Most banks and mortgage companies buy a file from the city for their tax clients.

Planning for future increases in education funding requires clear communication among local officials and current information on the Education Reform Act of 1993 (as amended). As such, policy makers, financial officials and school committee members should meet periodically throughout the year. It is important that all officials keep abreast of the financial impacts of this law (e.g., the foundation budget, school enrollment trends, municipal revenue growth factor, and net school spending). With adequate communication and financial planning, a community may be able to forecast the potential impacts of this law on the community’s budget process.

As legal counsel to the City of Everett the City Solicitor’s Office is prohibited from providing legal representation or legal advice to members of the public. Therefore, if residents of the City of Everett have a private dispute, the Solicitor’s Office cannot advise them on how to proceed. Residents are advised to consult with a private attorney.

To file a public records request, click here

Click here to be automatically taken to a website that will allow you to provide input on how the City’s ARPA funds should be distributed. You can also visit the site at the following website address: Add link when it is active.

You can register by mail; mail-in registration forms are widely available. To obtain a mail-in registration form visit Secretary of State Mail-In Application, or call 617-394-2296 or 1-800-462-VOTE and a form will be sent to you. Mail the completed form to Registrar of Voters Office, Room 10, Everett City Hall, 484 Broadway, Everett, MA 02149. You should receive a confirmation notice in 2 to 3 weeks.

You can register in person; go to the Registrar of Voters Office, Room 10, Everett City Hall and complete an affidavit of registration, which must be answered truthfully under the penalty of perjury. The questions on the affidavit will include your name, residence and date of birth.

You can register at the Registry of Motor Vehicles; keep your motor voter receipt until you receive confirmation from your local election official. If you do not receive any confirmation, please contact your local election office to verify your voting status. Secretary of State Mail-In Application (PDF)

ECTV does offer video production workshops. If you can’t make the particular dates given online, then ECTV is willing to arrange a schedule if you have a group of two-three people interested in taking our video production courses. Class schedules will be listed on the community bulletin board,, City website, ECTV Facebook page, as well as the local city newspapers. Individuals and Organizations wishing to take classes must arrange for them on a first-come, first-served basis. Individuals and Organizations must also be Everett residents or employees. Class sizes may be limited at the discretion of ECTV. Each course may have a prescribed fee to cover costs of materials, and a non-refundable deposit.

A disability can be processed either on line via the Veteran Affair’s (VA) website or assistance through the office.

A veteran must prove their disability accrued thru military service of a result of their service. Medical transcripts are part of the process as well as any other supporting documentation. Veteran Affair’s Website

In order to be a member at ECTV, simply join one of our workshops offered. Schedules of each class will be posted online, our Facebook page, local city newspapers and our looping bulletin boards. For more information about membership or about workshops, please contact our office at 617-394-2418.

For you real estate and personal property bill, you need to contact the Assessor’s Office. For your water bill you must contact the Water Dept. The Registry of Motor Vehicles needs to be updated with any change of address.

Make sure that all who resides on the property stops using all water sources for at least a half hour. Then, locate your water meter to recheck if the dial has moved.

Tag: water

Tax bills can only be disputed once a year. It is when the first actual tax bill is sent out on January 1st, you have till the due date, usually February 1. This can be done by applying for an abatement in the Assessor’s Office. Water bills have to be brought to the Board of Public Works meeting once a month. For excise bills, the value is set by the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

In order to receive a plot in the community garden one must download an application off of the Everett Community Growers website, fill it out, and drop it off at Energize Everett, the Connolly Center, or the Parlin Library. If you are unable to download a copy please visit Energize Everett for an application. For more information call 617-394-7632. Gardener Application

Burial assistance can be discussed at the Veterans Office here at the armory.

Grave markers are provided free of charge for Veterans, and burials are provided at either Bourne National Veterans Cemetery or, 1 of 2 state Veterans cemeteries at, Agawam, and Winchendon Massachusetts. This service is free as well. Veteran Affair’s Website

You can put in a request in through City Services 617-394-2285.

All water and sewer bill payments are collected by the Collector’s Office.

Payment Methods:

  • Visit the Collector’s Office in person
  • Send a check or money order in the mail to:
    • Collector’s Office
      484 Broadway, Rm. 13, Everett, MA 02149
  • Or pay with credit card by calling the Collector’s Office at 617-394-2240
Tag: water

If you have concerns about snow plowing or removal, please contact us at 617-394-2270 or City Services at 617-394-2285.

  • Access Users may reserve portable equipment no more than four weeks in advance and no later than three business days in advance.
  • Portable equipment may be taken out for up to forty-eight hours at a time and for up to six non-consecutive periods, not to exceed six days, per finished program.
  • The person who reserves equipment must pick it up and return it, unless ECTV staff approves alternate arrangements in advanced.
  • When signing out equipment, an ECTV staff member fills out and initials an Equipment Check-Out Form. Before taking the equipment, the borrower must verify that Equipment Check Out Form lists all the items they are taking and contains everything the shoot will require. Access Users are encouraged to set up and test equipment before leaving the building. Access Users must sign the Equipment Check-Out Form before leaving ECTV premises.
  • Access Users must return equipment at the time written on the Equipment Check-Out Form. Access users cannot borrow additional equipment until they have returned all items in good working order or have paid ECTV an assessment that ECTV may levy against borrowers equipment damages.
  • All Access Users and Producers are responsible for the equipment that is listed on the Equipment Check-Out Form. ECTV will ensure that all equipment is in working order. A Producer or Access User is responsible for all damage to, or theft of equipment, excluding normal wear and tear. The Producer must notify ECTV immediately upon any occurrence of damage, malfunction, or theft.
  • Anyone wishing to communicate with cable subscribers for non-commercial purposes may submit a brief message and graphic to be shown on the public access channel’s electronic bulletin board.
  • Users may submit their messages two weeks in advance.
  • A phone number for further information and the name of the sponsoring organization or individual must accompany all messages.
  • Everett announcements take precedence over those from out of town.
  • ECTV shows messages announcing events until the day after the event.
  • Messages announcing ongoing services or activities show for six months, in the one-month-on and one-month-off format, from the time the message is submitted unless ECTV receives alternate instructions.
  • Please fill out a PSA/ Bulletin Board Request Form, or you can fax a copy of the form to: 617-389-2006.

Anyone who lives or works in Everett may request channel time, free of charge, to broadcast a program. If you do not live or work in Everett, we recommend a producer to have a sponsor from Everett, so that your show can be aired. That being said, Producers and Access Users requesting airtime for a program must complete a Video Submission Form. There are no restrictions on submitted stand-alone shows; ECTV will attempt to accommodate all programs as long as the program does not interfere with the normal program schedule and the normal operation of the facility. Series programs are limited to 60 minutes in length.

The process for submitting shows are as follows:

  • Individual programs submitted for broadcast must be accompanied by a Video Submission Form.
  • Anyone request a regular broadcast slot for a series must schedule the slot with the Director or one of the ECTV Producers.
  • When possible, the person submitting the programs must deliver two to four programs for the series by dates agreed on before that time slow becomes permanent.
  • Forms must be summated in full by the twentieth of the month in order for the program to be added to the following month’s schedule.
  • Each DVD must be labeled on the spine of the case with the producer’s name, program title, series title (when applicable), and the exact length of the program.

A community may improve its free cash and financial reserves through prudent financial planning and development of sound financial policies. The community could also establish policies to build its free cash balance such as conservatively estimating local receipts and aggressively pursuing the collection of receivables. Since free cash is an available fund that might not be generated in the next fiscal year, it is usually not used to fund recurring operating expenses.

A formal reserve policy will allow the community to establish a practice of appropriating money to legal reserves for future needs. Appropriations to reserves should be considered annually as a part of the budget process and appropriations from reserves should be made for unanticipated or capital costs, not regular operating expenses.

Taxpayers who are eligible for the tax credit can claim the credit by submitting a completed Schedule CB, Circuit Breaker Credit, with their state income tax returns.

Taxpayers who qualified for the tax credit in a prior year but did not file a Schedule CB with their original state income tax return should file an application for abatement, available on the Department of Revenue site. Also, taxpayers who qualified for the tax credit in a prior year and did not file a tax return should file a state income tax return with schedule CB. Either option must be completed within 3 years from the last date for filing the return, without regard to any extension of time to file.

Department of Revenue

The taxpayer must file an application for exemption with the Board of Assessors of the community where the property is located for each year an exemption is claimed. The application deadline for all personal exemptions is December 15 or 3 months after the actual (3rd quarter bill) bills are mailed for the fiscal year, whichever is later. Applications must be received by the Assessor’s Department on or before the deadline, or mailed to the Assessor’s Department correct mailing address by the deadline, as shown by a U.S. Post Office postmark. Filing on time is required. The Assessors cannot waive the filing date. Residential Exemption (PDF)

Everett’s Emergency Communication Center is a Phase 2 enabled city. This means that when you dial 911 from a cell phone, the Telecommunicator can see your approximate location by receiving the location of the cell tower your call is coming from. The Telecommunicator also attempts to get your exact coordinates through GPS. This process could take 20 seconds or more and the exact coordinates they receive could be about the size of a football stadium. GPS coordinates do not provide elevation, which can be critical when calling from a multi-story building.

When you call 911 from your cell phone, always assume the Telecommunicator does not know where you are at and be prepared to give all address and location information for the emergency, including landmarks.

This is done by the Registry of Motor Vehicles, referencing National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA).

Studio & Control Room Use:

  • Once an individual has completed a workshop course, they are allowed to reserve time in the studio and control room no more than four weeks in advance and no later than five business days in advance. Regular series Access Users may establish a regular studio reservation schedule with ECTV.
  • Access Users use the studio up to four times per program, per month. With a maximum of four hours of studio use per month.
  • All reservations must be received in writing either by email, fax, mail or in person.
  • The producer of record must be present for all studio sessions.
  • Access Users must check in and out with the staff person on call when using the studio. After each studio use, the person who made the reservation must fill out a studio checkout form, and give it to the staff person on call.
  • No Access User may use office space or equipment without specific authorization by staff.
  • All in studio production must include the ECTV standard disclaimer. No show will air without this disclaimer placed at the beginning and end of the show.
  • ECTV staff is available for technical or production advice, suggestions or assistance. ECTV staff is NOT responsible and/or obligated to support or supervise an Access Users’ production.

Editing Use:

  • ECTV uses Final Cut Pro editing software. Training will be offered later this summer. Upon certification, an Access User may reserve to edit in studio no more than four weeks in advance. They may use up to twenty-four hours of edit time for any program. Access Users may reserve up to two hours of edit time per day, with a maximum of six hours per week per program.
  • All reservations must be received in writing either by email, fax, mail or in person.

Your retirement allowance is determined by your age, years of creditable service, three year-average annual rate of compensation, and your group classification. The maximum retirement allowance is 80% of the high three-year average annual rate of compensation. Your age factor times the number of years of service determines this percentage. For Members who join the system after 4/2/12, a five-year average annual rate of compensation will be used to calculate their retirement. In addition, the age factor table for member who join the system after 4/2/12 will require you to work longer for the same or similar benefit.

To arrive at “full and fair cash value” the Assessors must know what “willing sellers” and “willing buyers” will pay/receive for property. This is done by collecting, recording and analyzing a great deal of information about property and market characteristics in order to estimate the fair market value. This includes knowing the current cost of construction in the area and any changes in zoning, financing and economic conditions that may affect property values. The object is to estimate “full and fair cash value” as of January 1 (known as the “assessment date”) prior to the fiscal year that starts July 1.

For example, the assessment date for Fiscal Year 2016 is January 1, 2015 and Fiscal Year 2016 goes from July 1, 2015 through to June 30, 2016.

The Massachusetts State Building Code stipulates that any permit issued shall be deemed abandoned and invalid unless the work authorized by it shall have been commenced within 6 months after its issuance; however, for cause, and upon written request of the owner, 1 or more extensions of time, for periods not exceeding 6 months each, may be granted in writing by the building commissioner. Work under such a permit in the opinion of the building commissioner, must proceed in good faith continuously to completion so far as is reasonably practicable under the circumstances.

There are limitations that apply to superannuation retirees who work after retirement in positions in local as well as state government. Limitations include:

  • Employment may not exceed 1200 hours per calendar year; and/or
  • Total earnings per calendar year cannot exceed the difference between the retirement allowance and the current salary of the position from which you retired. After the first full calendar year of retirement, you can earn the difference plus $15,000.

As a retiree, you must cease employment whenever either one of the above two conditions are met. If you wish to continue working, then you must waive your retirement allowance. There are no earnings limitations for superannuation retirees who work in the private sector. Please note, separate earnings limitations apply to members who receive Accidental Disability Benefits.

The City of Everett will receive $47.1 million in ARPA funds. All funds must be allocated by the end of 2024 and spent by the end of 2026.

There is a community engagement process currently underway to provide Everett residents with an opportunity to weigh in on the City’s ARPA spending. Once that input is collected and analyzed, City Council will identify funding categories and specific projects that will use ARPA funding.

Initially, Everett was awarded $13.8 million in ARPA funds. However, a few months later, the state allocated an additional $33.3 million in extra Rescue Act money to supplement the original allotment. According to Gov. Baker, Everett was one of four communities that were “disproportionately impacted by the virus, and this additional funding will support critical local COVID response and recovery efforts.”

Some offices or businesses may require you to dial 9 to get an outside line to dial out. If you happen to dial 9 to get an outside line and 1 for a long distance number, the 1 could accidentally get pressed twice or be held down too long; therefore 911 is actually dialed.

Some business phone systems also require that you dial a 9 before you dial 911 for emergency assistance. You should check with someone responsible for maintaining your telephone system to see if dialing a 9 before 911 is a requirement for your office. If it is, make sure that these instructions are posted in plain view at each phone for employees to see in case they need to call 911.

When selling property or change of ownership occurs, it is important that all matters regarding water and sewer charges to the property are finalized with the seller. To ensure that no unnecessary charges will be passed onto a buyer, a final water/sewer read must be ordered that will show a complete and final reading and that all previous charges to the property under the seller’s name have been paid. The final water/sewer reading will be added to the MLC. This is to ensure that the new owner does not inherit the water and sewer bill from the previous owner.

The process is as follows:

  1.  The buyer, seller or real estate broker requests an application for a Final Water and Sewer Bill. This request can be made by downloading the Final Bill Request Form.
  2. The completed application can be emailed to [email protected] or filed in person at the Everett Water Department offices located at 19 Norman St., Everett, MA 02149. For further information call the Everett’s Water Department at (617-394-2325)
  3. In order to properly prepare a certificate, a meter technician must obtain a reading from the inside water meter which is always within 2 weeks of the closing. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make arrangements to access to the meter. The fee of $150.00 will be added to the final bill.

Final Bill Request Form

Tag: water

Yes, a life tenant is the owner of the property during his or her lifetime. An example of a legal life estate is where parents convey their home to their children but reserve the right to live there for the remainder of their lives. The parents are the life tenants. During their lives, they have possession, use and enjoyment of the property, are assessed the property taxes and have an obligation to pay them. Therefore, they may receive personal exemptions if they are otherwise eligible. The children are the remainder-men and become the owners and take possession of the property after both parents have died.

Sometimes. The person must hold both recorded legal title by being a trustee or co-trustee and a sufficient beneficial interest in the domicile through the trust to be considered an owner for exemption purposes. A person who is not a trustee does not have legal title and does not qualify for a personal exemption.

A trustee or co-trustee has the necessary beneficial interest if he/she is a named beneficiary in a recorded certificate of trust, declaration of trust or trust schedule of beneficiaries, has an express right to occupy the property under the trust or is in fact occupying it as his/her domicile, or has rights under the trust that indicate he/she can occupy the property and no one else has a beneficial interest that is exclusive or inconsistent with that occupancy. For instance to direct the trustee to turn over the title or use of the property, to receive proceeds from the sale or rental of the property or to use, apply, or spend any trust assets during his/her lifetime.

Yes, Everett’s Emergency Communication Center uses a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD). When basic information is obtained, the location, name, phone number, and problem can be entered into the system.

Once the pertinent information about the situation has been gathered, another Telecommunicator on duty will be dispatching a fire or medical response. In many cases, you may be asked to stay on the line until help arrives on the scene. This will enable the Telecommunicator to pass along updates to emergency responders, give you critical instructions that could potentially help the situation, and to make sure that everyone remains safe.

The law requires that property be valued from an actual view or the best information available. We will be reviewing your assessment based on the existing records and sales of properties similar to yours. In addition we are currently updating our cyclical inspection (the law requires we inspect each property every 9 years). It is an ongoing project of re-measuring and relisting all the properties, which includes interior inspections.

Tax credits received by eligible taxpayers are not considered income for the purpose of obtaining eligibility or benefits under other means-tested assistance programs including food, medical, housing, energy and educational assistance programs.

Yes. The City of Everett Council on Aging contracts with SCM Transportation (Door to Door) Service. This service provides transportation to and from medical appointments. You can book a ride by calling 617-625-1191 from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., Monday through Friday. SCM requires at least 2 days advance notice. Although there is no charge, donations are always accepted.

Please report the theft to the police department and obtain a police report with your name and address on it. Bring the police report to the Mayor’s Office, Room 31, at City Hall, and we will get you out a replacement.

Trash and Recycling Bins must be set at the curb by 7 a.m. on collection day or after 6 p.m. the night before and be visible from the street. Please call the Mayor’s office at 617-394-2270 to report it.

It’s a prank call when someone calls 911 for a joke, or calls 911 and hangs up. Prank calls not only waste time and money, but can also be dangerous. If 911 lines or call takers are busy with prank calls, someone with a real emergency may not be able to get the help they need. In most places, it’s against the law to make prank 911 calls.

Available funds include free cash, stabilization funds, overlay surplus, expendable trust funds and other reserves.

1 unit of usage is equal to 100 cubic feet of water and 748 gallons of water.


Tag: water

All permit applications are to be filed and submitted at the Engineering Division of the Department of Public Works. Bonds and Certificates of Insurance are to be obtained through the Contractors or Owner Insurance agents.

You need 3 sets of acceptable plans showing project location. There is a base $75 application fee. Sewer, drain, and water permit fees are each $100. There is a $5,000 fee for a Drainlayer Bond depending on the project.

There is a $75 application fee. The permit fees are $100 for an obstruction permit, $5,000 street opening bond, and $1,000,000 Certification of Insurance (Commercial and General Liability).

Individual and Organization Access Users must go through a certification process and be deemed “certified” by ECTV staff in order to use each type of equipment. Access Users who have been inactive for a time may need to renew their certifications. Basic classes allow Access Users to assist on ECTV produced programs and to videotape events, while intermediate classes qualify users to produce their own programs.

  • Studio Production Certification
  • Field Production Certification
    • Requirements: Attend and complete our two session workshop courses.
  • Editing Certification
    • Requirements: Field Production Certification, attend and complete the two-three workshop Editing session, and produce an edited program to be shown on ECTV.

Follow the tips below to stop small, individual activities that cause pollution and result in large-scale pollution.
10 Things You Can Do to Prevent Storm water Runoff Pollution:

  1. Remember: Only rain belongs in the drain! Don’t dump anything down storm drains. Be sure to clear away leaves and debris.
  2. Clean up pet waste. Bag up pet waste and dispose of it in the trash to prevent harmful bacteria from washing into local waterways.
  3. Keep your car well-maintained. Fix any fluid leaks promptly and make sure to clean-up any spills.
  4. Wash your car at a commercial car wash rather than in the street or in your driveway. If you wash your car at home, wash it on your lawn.
  5. Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces; consider planting a rain garden or installing a rain barrel to collect the storm water.
  6. Cut down on fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. If you use these chemicals, follow directions and use them sparingly. Don’t fertilize before a rainstorm.
  7. Reduce impervious surfaces at home and increase the vegetated land cover of your property. Use bricks, gravel, cobbles, natural stone, or permeable pavers instead of asphalt or concrete when possible.
  8. Do not drain your pool or hot tub to a storm drain. Allow chlorine to dissipate for several days and test the water to ensure the residual chlorine is zero before slowly draining to a landscaped area.
  9. Walk, bike, or share a ride when possible. Driving causes particulates to enter our air. Air pollution can contaminate rain and end up in our rivers and streams.
  10. Share your knowledge with your friends, colleagues and neighbors!

If your opinion of the value of your property differs from the assessed value, go to the Assessor’s Department and collect pertinent data to support your opinion. For information on this, please visit the Abatement page.

As with all claimed tax credits and deductions, the taxpayer must keep all pertinent records, receipts, and other documentation supporting the claim for the credit.

Schedule CB and further information is available on the Department of Revenue website or by contacting the Massachusetts Department of Revenue’s customer Service Bureau at 617-877-6367 or toll free in Massachusetts at 800-392-6089. Department of Revenue

You may buy back any prior public service with the City of Everett or certain other service with the Commonwealth that was refunded or service in which retirement contributions were not withheld. You must buy back such service as an active member in order to have that time credited toward a retirement. Buyback requests must be submitted in writing and you will have to pay the appropriate contribution plus accumulated interest as determined by the Board.

Vesting is a term commonly used to signify the right to a retirement allowance at a later date. Vested benefits are those benefits, which a member is entitled to today, not based on additional service.

Assessors are required by Massachusetts General Laws to value all real and personal property. The valuations are subject to taxation (referred to as Ad Valorem Tax). Ad Valorem tax means that property is taxed according to value. Property in Massachusetts is assessed/valued at 100% fair market value.

It is required by Department of Revenue that the values are submitted to them for certification every 5 years. Everett’s schedule is 2020, 2025 etc. The Assessing Department is also required to do interim adjustments in the 4 off years. This is accomplished by actual sales studies – comparing the assessment of the property to its selling price. This is done so that the property taxpayer pays his or her fair share of the cost of local government, in proportion to the amount of money the property is worth.

The Assessor does not raise or lower taxes. The Assessor does not make the laws which affect property owners. The Massachusetts Constitution requires that direct taxes on persons be proportionately and reasonably imposed. In addition, the Declaration of Rights, Part I, Article 10, requires each individual to bear his fair share of public expenses.

The Assessor’s Department has nothing to do with the total amount of tax collected. The Assessor’s responsibility is to find the fair cash value of your property, so that you may pay only your fair share of the taxes. The tax rate is determined by all the taxing agencies within the City, and is the basis for the budget needed to provide services, such as schools, roads, fire, law enforcement, etc. The tax rates are simply those rates which will provide funds to pay for those services.

Many innovative techniques exist to capture, treat, infiltrate and/or reuse storm water runoff by using Green Infrastructure. These storm water management systems mimic nature by soaking up and storing water. Green Infrastructure designs can also provide other benefits, such as increased habitat, improved aesthetics, reduced heat island effect as well as recreational and educational opportunities.

The Mayor’s Office of Veterans Service in conjunction with the State Department of Veterans Services provides financial services via Chapter 115. This service is for Veterans, Spouse’s and widows of Veterans.

There is a financial formula that must be met determined by the state as to need.

This office can answer any question regarding this benefit and welcome you to apply. Veterans Page

If you pay your taxes late, interest will start to accrue the next day at 14%. The credit card cut off for any bill payment date is midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST).

If someone calls 911 and does not speak English, they will be transferred to Language Line Services where an interpreter will be able to translate all questions and answers. Using this service ensures there is no delay in dispatching emergency personnel to the location of the emergency and assures that the most accurate information is obtained from the caller.

As required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, Johnson County Emergency Call Center (ECC) 911 is equipped with Text Telephone/Telephone Device for the Deaf (TTY) equipment at every call taking position to assist hearing and speech impaired callers. The TTY/TDD technology is built into the phone system to enable seamless communication with callers who have the need to use a TTY/TDD to communicate. All of our telecommunicators are thoroughly trained in the use of a TTY/TDD, as well as continuously trained throughout the year to maintain proficiency in the use of the equipment.

People with prior experience in television production may obtain certification by being evaluated by ECTV staff. The evaluation process may include a written and/or hands-on test, and the submission of a demo tape may also be required.

If you leave service after you are vested, you may leave your retirement contributions in the system and receive a retirement allowance at age 55. Group 1 Members who join the system after 4/2/12 must be age 60 to be eligible for an allowance.

The Assessor does not raise or lower taxes. The Assessor does not make the laws which affect property owners. The Massachusetts Constitution requires that direct taxes on persons be proportionately and reasonably imposed. In addition, the Declaration of Rights, Part I, Article 10, requires each individual to bear his fair share of public expenses.

The Assessor’s Department has nothing to do with the total amount of tax collected. The Assessor’s responsibility is to find the fair cash value of your property, so that you may pay only your fair share of the taxes. The tax rate is determined by all the taxing agencies within the City, and is the basis for the budget needed to provide services, such as schools, roads, fire, law enforcement, etc. The tax rates are simply those rates which will provide funds to pay for those services.

If you leave service, two options are available to you. You may receive a refund of your retirement contributions, with 20% deducted for federal taxes. Under certain circumstances, there may be a penalty for early withdrawal. Alternatively, you can have it “Rollover” into a tax-qualified IRA.

Callers outside the City limits can reach 311 Call Center by calling 617-394-2270.

An eligible taxpayer who does not normally file a state income tax return may obtain a refund by filing a return with a schedule CB.

The Telecommunicator will ask you a series of basic questions including address/location, phone number, name, and exact nature of the emergency.

Once these questions have been answered, more detailed questions will be asked to ensure everything about the situation is obtained.

It’s the goal of Everett’s Emergency Communication Center to ensure an accurate and quick response to the emergency you are reporting, and answering these questions will assist in the proper response.

Everett 311 is an easy way to remember phone number that residents, businesses and visitors can use to request service, report problems or get information from city government. Everett 311 is our resource for connecting with the City of Everett. We handle requests for potholes, trash and recycling issues, street light outages, and much more – 311 Call Center is ready to help! Our customer service representatives will ensure each caller gets a courteous, quick and accurate response.

311 provides a single point of contact for City of Everett Government services.
One Call to City Hall

Aid and attendance is benefit for elderly Veterans and their spouses who are homebound and are in need of constant care for feeding, clothing and showering. A form is required to apply for this benefit and the Veteran must have served during war time service. Contact this office for further information as there are other requirements that must be met for this benefit.

As stated from the Department of Revenue’s Newsletter City/Town July 2013, an exemption is a privilege established by the Legislature that releases or discharges a taxpayer from the obligation to pay all or a portion of a tax.

Property tax exemptions are found in various clauses of Massachusetts General Law Chapter 59 Section 5. Generally, personal exemptions refer to those property tax exemptions available under state law to taxpayers based on their personal circumstances.

They include, for example, exemptions available to persons who are legally blind, disabled veterans, surviving spouses, minors with a deceased parent or senior citizens. Some eligibility requirements are common to all personal exemptions, for example, taxpayers must own and occupy the property as their domicile to qualify. Other requirements apply to particular exemptions. Some exemptions or qualifications apply only in communities that adopt them.

Most post 911 GI education benefits can be more easily answered by contacting the Veterans education representative at the school in which you want to apply too. Any other question regarding education, such as vocational training, can be discussed at this veteran’s office. Veterans Page

Working with its partners, Energize Everett created a Joint Use Agreement between the City of Everett and the Everett Public Schools that opened an elementary school gymnasium for community use in the evening.

Energize Everett along with Recreation Director Sam Amado helped create Family Fitness Night programming to offer a variety of activities to children and their families to have fun while being active together. The idea took off!

Now on Wednesdays or Thursdays from February through April 2015, parents and children can gather for activities, including tag, relay racing, dancing, jump rope, and more.

Energize Everett, with the help of the Mayor’s Office and the Everett Public Schools have expanded the program to include the Madeline English School and the new Community Health and Wellness Center. For more information call 617-394-2266.

A community’s free cash is the amount of unrestricted funds available from the previous fiscal year’s general fund operations that can be appropriated upon certification by the Director of Accounts. Free cash is certified based upon the June 30 balance sheet submitted by the town accountant/city auditor. The treasurer must also submit the Quarterly Reconciliation of Treasurer’s cash report, which reconciles with the balance of the accountant, for free cash to be certified.
Free cash is generated when the actual operations of the fiscal year compare favorably with the budget. Simply put, it results when revenue collections are greater than estimated receipts, and expenditures and encumbrances (committed funds not yet expended) are less than appropriations. It is reduced by illegal deficits, overdrawn grant accounts and deficits in other funds.

Storm water is water from rain or melting snow that is not absorbed. It runs off the ground and paved surfaces before entering storm drains (grates on the road), where it makes its way into our waterways. As the runoff flows over land and impervious surfaces, it picks up trash, sediment, bacteria, heavy metals and other pollutants. Due to the high amount of impervious surfaces in Everett, storm water pollution is of high concern.

An override is a voted increase in the levy limit. An override cannot increase a community’s levy limit above the community’s levy ceiling. The levy ceiling is equal to 21Ž2 percent of the full and fair cash value of all taxable property in the community. When an override is passed the levy limit for the year is calculated by including the amount of the override. The override results in a permanent increase in the levy limit of the community. Overrides require a majority vote of approval by the electorate. A community can also assess taxes in excess of its levy limit or levy ceiling for the payment of certain capital projects and for the payment of specified debt service costs called exclusions. An exclusion for the purpose of raising funds for debt service costs is referred to as a debt exclusion, and an exclusion for the purpose of raising funds for capital project costs is referred to as a capital outlay expenditure exclusion. Both exclusions require voter approval with very limited exceptions. Unlike overrides, exclusions do not become part of the base upon which the levy limit is calculated for future years.

The levy limit is the maximum amount a community can raise through property taxes in any given year. The levy limit is based on the previous year’s limit plus allowable increases. These allowable increases include the annual 21Ž2 percent increase, new growth and overrides. The levy limit will always be below or at most equal to, the levy ceiling of 21Ž2 percent of the total full and fair cash value of the community’s taxable real and personal property. A community may also levy above the levy limit or ceiling through an exclusion.

Exempt status is determined as of July 1, which is the 1st day of the fiscal year. To qualify for an exemption from the taxes assessed for that fiscal year, the taxpayer must meet all eligibility criteria as of that date.

Any Veteran who served in the Armed Forces as a Veteran is entitled to a Welcome Home Bonus.

We would be happy to assist anyone needing help, please visit our website.

Everett maintains a street sweeping program which minimizes the amount of pollutants on the road that can get swept into stormdrains, including sediment, debris, trash, road salt, and trace metals. Street sweeping also improves the aesthetics of municipal roadways and controls dust.
The City of Everett has partnered with the Mystic River Watershed Association, a nonprofit organization, on projects to address water quality, promote green infrastructure and provide storm water education. Malden River Urban Waters Partnership

A capital improvement plan (CIP) should include a multi-year capital plan and annual capital budget for all community departments. These documents should: (1) prioritize the various proposed capital projects; (2) estimate project costs; and (3) list the proposed method of payment (current revenue, debt or debt excluded from the limits of Proposition 21Ž2) for each project. Regardless of funding ability, annual presentation of a capital budget to the legislative body has merit. It serves to inform citizens of the community’s capital needs and makes them aware of essential projects that may be deferred due to financial constraints.

If you accidentally dial 911, do not hang up!

The best thing you can do is to stay on the line until a Telecommunicator answers so you can tell them that you dialed by mistake. If you do hang up before speaking with a Telecommunicator, an attempt will be made to call your number back to make sure everything is okay and that there is no emergency. If no contact is made on the callback attempt, an officer will be dispatched to the location of the 911 call to ascertain if there is an emergency.

Teaching children the proper use of 911 is very important. Some of the things you can do as a parent is to cover some basic pointers. Kids and 911 Page

Cash, check, money orders, and credit cards are accepted payment methods.

Expenditures that may be made without an appropriation by town meeting or city council include debt service payments, final court judgments, snow and ice removal deficits, overlay allowance for abatements and exemptions, prior years’ overlay deficits, Cherry Sheet offset items and state and county charges. These expenditures are listed on page two of the tax recap under “Amounts to be Raised.”

You are vested in the Everett retirement system once you have accumulated the equivalent of 10 years of full-time service.

Assessors are required by Massachusetts General Laws to value all real and personal property. The valuations are subject to taxation (referred to as Ad Valorem Tax). Ad Valorem tax means that property is taxed according to value. Property in Massachusetts is assessed/valued at 100% fair market value.

It is required by Department of Revenue that the values are submitted to them for certification every 5 years. Everett’s schedule is 2020, 2025 etc. The Assessing Department is also required to do interim adjustments in the 4 off years. This is accomplished by actual sales studies – comparing the assessment of the property to its selling price. This is done so that the property taxpayer pays his or her fair share of the cost of local government, in proportion to the amount of money the property is worth.

There is no waiting period to be eligible to register to vote. If you move, you may register to vote as soon as you move into your new home.

Customer Service Representatives are available from 8:00 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. Monday & Thursday, 8:00 a.m until 5:00 p.m Tuesday & Wednesday, and 8:00a.m- 8p.m on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. You will be assisted by a qualified member of our team to help resolve your issue. City departments will respond to all 311 service requests in the order in which they are received. You request will be logged into an advanced tracking system that will show department heads how responsive departments are in their service delivery.

No sooner than 120 days before you plan to retire. You can also file for retirement up to sixty days after you leave public service. You can file after sixty days but your benefits will not be retroactive to your retirement date. Therefore, the Everett Retirement Board strongly recommends that you plan your retirement before leaving your job. Certain retirement options will not be available to you once you stop working. You should therefore obtain counseling from the Everett Retirement Board before you stop working.

Free cash must be certified by the Director of Accounts as of July 1 of each fiscal year upon submission of a community’s balance sheet, and cannot be appropriated until certified. Once free cash is certified, it is available for appropriation by the town meeting or city council. It may be used for any legal purpose. However, depleting free cash to balance annual operating budgets may lead to tighter financial times. Free cash provides communities with a certain flexibility in that it is the major source of funding for any supplemental appropriations after the annual budget has been adopted and the tax rate has been set.

911 is for emergencies, such as house fire and crimes in progress, that require an immediate response by police, fire or ambulance. For City services and non-emergencies, call 311.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts State Building Code states that “it shall be unlawful to construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, remove or demolish a building or structure; or to change the use or occupancy or a building or structure; or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by 780 CMR (State Building Code) without first filing a written application with the building official and obtaining the required permit therefore.”

The City is required to determine how all ARPA funds will be allocated by the end of 2024, and the money must be spent by the end of 2026.

The next Revaluation will begin in 2023 to be completed by October 2024.The resulting values will be effective as of January 1, 2024 for Fiscal Year 2025. These assessments will be the basis for the 3rd (or actual) tax bill, which will be mailed in December 2024.

Applications can be accessed through the Veteran Affair’s (VA) website. Additional assistance can be accommodated at the Veterans office at the Armory. Veteran Affair’s Website

The Everett Farmers Market is located in the Everett Square Municipal parking lot, next to Braza Grill from June 24, 2015 through October 28, 2015 from 1:30-6:30 p.m.

You can find more in-depth information on the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 here.

Anyone within Everett city limits can call 311 free of charge from a landline or cell phone. 311 works on most cell phones. Cell phone coverage is determined by individual service providers.

To be eligible for most Veteran Affair (VA) benefits, the claimant must be a veteran or, in some circumstances, the
survivor or the dependent of a veteran. By statute, a veteran is defined as a “person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released there from under conditions other than dishonorable. An applicant must have “active military, naval, or air service” to be considered a veteran for most VA benefits.

In general, active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Science Services Administration or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or its predecessor, the Coast and Geodetic Survey.

The determination of whether a claimant has met the “active service” requirement may not be a simple process. It is possible that the claimant and the VA may have to scrutinize the claimant’s service record(s) to determine whether the claimant’s service fits into one of the many categories of active service, or whether an exception has been made for his or her service, so that it is considered to be active service for the purposes of veterans’ benefits.

All personal exemptions require the taxpayer to own the property. The taxpayer can be the sole owner or own the property with others. If there are multiple owners, some exemptions establish a minimum value that the applicant’s ownership interest must meet to qualify, which is easily satisfied. Some exemptions also require the taxpayer to have owned the property, or other property in Massachusetts for a period of time.

Refer questions to Rules and Regulations of the Water Department. The PDF is available by clicking here.

Tag: water

Only a person who is a United States citizen, a resident of Massachusetts, and 18 years old on or before election day may register. Pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-old voters allows them to be registered as “pre-registrants” in the annual voter registry and registered to vote once they hit the legal voting age of 18.

Each household or business pays a small monthly fee for 911 service on each telephone line that appears on their phone bill. There is no per-call charge for calling 911. However, emergency medical services (EMS)/ambulances dispatched through 911 may charge for taking someone to the hospital. This is a separate ambulance charge, not a 911 charge.

Tax bills come out four times a year starting July 1 of that year. The first 2 bills are estimated. The first actual bill goes out in January of that year and that will have the tax rate and values of the property which will affect the total tax paid. Water bills are determined by the usage of the property. Excise bills go by the value of the car which is determined by the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

The most common reasons for high water consumption are leaky toilets, faucets, and garden horses. Even small leaks that go unnoticed can increase water consumption considerably.

Tag: water

Contribution to the retirement system is determined by your most recent entry into the system. Members who re-enter the system with funds on deposit or who transfer from another contributory retirement system maintain their former contribution level.

Employee Contribution Rates:

Before January 1, 1975 – 5%
January 1, 1975 – January 1, 1984 – 7%
January 1, 1984 – June 30, 1996 – 8%
July 1, 1996 – present – 9%

Also, employees hired after January 1, 1979 will pay their regular contribution plus an additional 2% contribution on salaries in excess of $30,000.

The Telecommunicator may only have one opportunity to gather information about the emergency. Therefore it is important to get as much information as possible if the situation allows. Address verification and a call back number are crucial. Also, based on your answers to questions, a more appropriate dispatch of emergency personnel may be provided. For example, a victim injured in a traffic accident that is trapped in a vehicle may elicit a different response from emergency responders than someone who has broken their arm.

In most cases, low water pressure is the result of an internal plumbing problem on the property. If the issue is confined to one (1) faucet, try removing the aerator.

Tag: water

State law required that all property in the City be assessed within 10% of market value every 5 years. A revaluation is the most equitable way to accomplish this.

Who wants to live and recreate along a polluted river?
Storm water is not sent to a wastewater treatment plant, instead it flows untreated into the Mystic and Malden Rivers and other water bodies. Storm water picks up and carries numerous pollutants into our waterways, many of which can cause problems in very small amounts. Since polluted storm water runoff is caused by so many of our every day activities, we all need to work together to prevent it.

Everett 311 is a part of an ongoing effort by the City of Everett to make access to City government easier and more responsive to the needs of residents, businesses and visitors. Now there is no need to search the phone directory for the correct City department – 311 takes care of that for you.

Enterprise accounting enables a community to operate a self-supported service and demonstrate to the public the true cost of providing a utility, health care, recreational or transportation services the service. Enterprise accounting allows a community to recover all direct (salaries, expenses, debt and capital) and indirect (insurance, fringe benefits, and support of other departments) costs. Enterprise accounting will also enable the community to legally retain a fund balance surplus from year to year, the use of which will be restricted to current operating or future capital/debt costs of the service.

A community may choose to adopt an enterprise fund for two main reasons. One reason is that the community wants to demonstrate to the public which portion of the total costs of a service is recovered through user charges versus the tax levy.

Most likely, yes. However, not all property values will change at the same rate. Market values will have increased more for some neighborhoods and property types than for others. Some neighborhoods and property types may have decreased in value and others may have remained the same. One purpose of a revaluation is to make sure that the assessed values reflect the changes that have occurred in market/property values.

One word, absolutely! Anonymity is very important and a priority.