Marriage Intention Instructions

All persons who wish to be married in Massachusetts must have a marriage license issued within the State of Massachusetts. Out-of -State marriage licenses cannot be used in Massachusetts.

Application Facts

  • The couple must apply in person for a marriage intention application. This requirement applies to both residents and non-residents.
  • There is a 3 day waiting period to receive your license. License is valid for 60 days from the day you originally file and may be used in any city or town within the Commonwealth. This license cannot be used outside of this state. A waiver of the 3 day waiting period can be applied for at the city or town clerk’s office where you apply and then presented to a court of competent jurisdiction for approval.
  • Any person filing in Massachusetts who has been married and is divorced does not have to file divorce papers, but that individual’s divorce must be final at the time of the application date.
  • Federal Statutes requires the collection of Social Security numbers (SSNs) at the time of application.
  • When either person is under 18 years old, a court order must be obtained from the probate court or district court where the minor resides. The parent must accompany the under age person along with the eligible person to the court prior to filing for the license.
  • A Priest, Minister, Rabbi, or a Justice of the Peace may perform the ceremony. A Justice of the Peace does not require witnesses to the ceremony but some religions may require witnesses so you should contact such person before the ceremony so that requirement can be met.
  • The person who performs the ceremony of marriage must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued. That is the only place where the license will be registered.
  • Out of State clergy may perform the ceremony here provide that an authorization has been obtained from the Secretary of States Office at the McCormack Building prior to the ceremony. The marriage license will not be registered unless the required authorization is enclosed with the license. An office has been set aside for this purpose at:
    • Public Records Division
      Department of State Secretary
      1 Ashburton Place
      Room 1701
      Boston, MA. 02108
      Phone: 617-727-2836
  • The fee for a Marriage License in Everett is $40. For further information call 617-394-2225.