Website City of Everett
Posting ID: 2021-0042
Posting Date: December 27, 2021
Department: Assessor’s Office
Location: City Hall – 484 Broadway
Salary: Up to $78,000
Schedule: Full-Time/35 Hours per week
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett prides itself on the progress it’s made while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
The City of Everett is seeking to fill the full-time position of Assistant Assessor. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Experience accurately measuring, listing, and sketching property improvements for a wide variety of property types is required. In addition, confirming sales data from the relevant parties/sources and the Registry of Deeds is required. This position also assists the Assessor with various personal property tax, mapping and title research matters, and Appellate Tax Board cases.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Measure and list real property as required
- Create new parcels within the CAMA system
- Schedule and complete real estate abatement inspections and review the results with Assessor to determine value adjustment, if any, and prepare the application recommendation for the Board of Assessors.
- Prepare and post agendas for the Board of Assessors meetings
- Research deeds and plans to determine ownership and property boundaries
- Answer questions regarding personal property
- Assist clerical staff in all public service processes, including processing Motor Vehicle Excise Tax abatements, reviewing statutory exemption applications, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Intensive knowledge of assessing property, general knowledge of related fields, or broad knowledge of major municipal functions activities.
- Thorough knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws about local taxation.
- Exercise judgment and make responsible decisions by established policies and procedures.
- Perform advanced arithmetic computations quickly and accurately and understand mathematical concepts.
- Prioritize, organize and perform work independently.
- Deal tactfully with the general public and convey concise and accurate explanations of policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and public officials, including effectively and discreetly conveying information.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience.
- Completing Massachusetts Department of Revenue course 101 within six (6) months of hire and Massachusetts Association of Accessors course 200 within twelve (12) months is required.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Use of personal vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed.
Physical Skills: Minimal physical demands are required to perform most of the work. The work principally involves sitting, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May be required to lift objects such as files, boxes of papers, office supplies, and office equipment weighing up to 30 pounds.
Motor Skills: Duties are primarily mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, using office equipment, including but not limited to telephones, personal computers, handheld technology, and other office equipment.
Visual Skills: Visual demands require reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You can apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/assistant-assessor-ad95b2ec825a35c0 or send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability-related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us