Website Parlin Library, Everett Public Libraries
Parlin Library, Everett Public Libraries
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett, prides itself on its progress while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City, Everett is now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers.
The Everett Public Libraries seek a well-read, enthusiastic, literacy-oriented, Children’s Librarian to serve the children and families of Everett by encouraging reading and life-long learning. Knowledge of educational approaches such as classical, living books, eclectic homeschooling, and un-schooling are a plus. If you value the importance of language and literacy to individual well-being and a functioning society, please apply. If invited to an interview, be prepared to give a quick talk about a book, outline a library program, or evaluate potential library materials. Based at the Parlin Memorial Library, the Parlin Children’s Librarian will also work as needed at the Shute Memorial Library.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the operation of a busy, engaging Children’s Room.
- Creates and maintains a welcoming environment for children and their caregivers.
- Keeps abreast of trends and emerging technologies in children’s services.
- Assists in policy review and writing as it pertains to children’s services.
- Performs readers’ advisory to children and caregivers.
- Attends library meetings, meetings of the North of Boston Library Exchange (NOBLE), and participates in professional development activities.
- Evaluates procedures and recommends improvements and modifications.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities, including circulation and information services, in cooperation with other staff as required.
- Develops and maintains the collection for currency and relevance, including working cooperatively with technical services and circulation.
- Collects library materials in a variety of formats.
- Maintains the ease of access to the collection.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with community agencies providing services to children and their caregivers, including schools and other educational organizations. Participates in community events promoting library services and programs.
- Creates and facilitates engaging, educational, developmentally appropriate programming for children. Publicizes library programming and services through traditional print media as well as a variety of social media.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- MLIS or MLS degree from an ALA accredited institution or equivalent education.
- May consider MLIS candidates with substantial progress towards completion of the degree
- Three years’ previous library experience
- In exceptional instances, specialized education, training and/or experience working in children’s literacy may be substituted for part or all of the educational requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of child development and experience working with children, their families and caregivers.
- Must be knowledgeable of childrens’ literature, authors, illustrators, and children’s reference sources.
- Must be able to interact with the public, city employees, local partners, organizations, and other staff with appropriate understanding, empathy, assertiveness, and tact.
- Must be willing and able to learn new technologies and equipment.
- Must be able to hear and speak at normal levels, lift up to 30 pounds, and use technologies and other devices such as would be required in an office environment.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: Hiring@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Hiring@ci.everett.ma.us