Website City of Everett
Posting ID: 2022-0031
Posting Date: 7/12/2022
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Department: Communications Department
Location: 484 Broadway, Everett, MA
Salary: $95,000 to $115,000
About the City of Everett
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett, prides itself on its progress while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City, Everett is now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers.
The Director of Communications for the City of Everett serves under the general direction of the Mayor and is responsible for leading a communications team that connects with Everett residents, businesses, and organizations in a manner that uses transparency to create trust and encourage engagement across the community. The Director must implement effective strategies to educate and inform community members by highlighting important events, initiatives, and issues, including but not limited to emergencies, services, programs, and public meetings. The position also oversees the Everett Cable Television staff and operations. This position collaborates with the City’s Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion on the planning, supporting, and promoting of community events. The Director must be available to attend and conduct City business during nights and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director oversees the cable unit staff to ensure accessible broadcasting of public meetings and to assist with creating Everett’s cable programming. Maintains working relationships with City departments, interested citizens, organizations, and businesses to create live and taped programming for broadcasts on ECTV facilities and channels. The Director acts as the Mayor’s representative to oversee Time-Warner’s (the cable company) fulfillment of the cable license and contract compliance.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as press contact and draft press materials, including media advisories, press releases, talking points, letters to the editor, and other communications priorities.
- Represent the Mayor at events and functions during and outside work hours and meets with constituents and neighborhood groups as necessary.
- Implement a content management strategy for the City’s website to ensure content is accurate and updated.
- Maintain and expand on the City’s efforts to increase its digital communications business plan, including using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Draft and manage social media content to engage audiences, including social media posts, articles, blogs, videos, and photos; ensure agency branding is accurate and consistent across channels.
- Present complex information, including data, to various audiences (ranging from subject matter experts to the general public) by utilizing a variety of formats (e.g., written articles, oral and visual presentations, etc.).
- Execute a business strategy that ensures important community information is accessible in multiple languages.
- Distribute information to residents to improve accessibility and outreach to underrepresented populations.
- Prepare information to support state and federal elected officials in their advocacy on behalf of Everett projects and initiatives.
- Cultivate partnerships with community-based organizations and nonprofits.
- Ensure that there are proper business plans in place for the routine maintenance and any required updates of all systems needed in the ECTV station and City Hall to be able to televise public meetings.
- Hire, train, and support communications staff and contracted vendors, including managing work plans and creating a work environment that encourages professional growth and development for team members.
- Responsible for the budget, planning, development, and dispensing of funds to ensure department expenditures do not exceed annual appropriations.
Education and Experience:
- B.A. or equivalent four-year college degree in communications, journalism, or engineering.
- Leadership and administrative skills to meet department needs.
- Must possess excellent computer skills.
- Experience managing social media accounts and creating original content.
- Experience implementing communications strategies as well as using data to drive content strategies.
- Strong written, verbal, and public presentation skills that support the ability to share information about the City in various communications formats.
- Experience in a supervisory role is necessary.
- Experience working with elected officials at the state and local levels is desired but not required.
Location varies, work will call for the ability to change location readily, and work is in a variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
Physical ability to access all locations is necessary.
Candidates must have access to their own means of transportation to attend meetings, functions, and events outside of City Hall.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. You can apply on Indeed: https://www.indeed.com/job/director-communications-d10f879cc8e409b7 or send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department by email: Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us
For a disability-related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us