Website City of Everett
Technical Services Librarian
Posting ID: 2023-0004
Posting Date: 02/21/2023
Closing Date: Until filled
Salary: $56,360.30 – $66,978.91
Schedule: 35 hours per week
About the City of Everett:
A desirable place to live, work, and visit, the City of Everett prides itself on the progress it’s made while remaining dedicated to future possibilities. Home to over 50,000 residents, Everett is known for its rich culture, diverse population, and welcoming atmosphere. A once industrial City now recognized as a melting pot for residents and newcomers alike.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and participates in the cataloging of all libraries’ materials using network databases.
- Maintains library catalog database in conjunction with NOBLE network staff. Establishes and maintains library-wide consistency in cataloging. Generates relevant reports as needed.
- May participate in collection development, including selection and purchasing materials.
- Represents Everett Public Libraries at technical services-related meetings at NOBLE.
- Oversees the processing and repair of physical collections.
- Staffs the information and service desks when needed; providing reference and circulation services.
- Keeps current in library and information literacy trends, participates in professional development activities.
- May develop and implement effective and efficient policies and procedures to maximize library resources.
- Works an evening per week, and a weekend on a rotating basis. Evergreen experience is preferred.
- Other duties as assigned.
Listed essential functions are intended only as examples of the various functions that may be performed at the Everett Public Libraries. The omission of a specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution and four years of professional experience in a networked public library with at least two years of cataloging and supervisory experience. Experience with open source platforms, specifically Evergreen, is very desirable. Working experience of library services, practices and techniques, both technical services and public service, as well as working knowledge of library automated systems and personal computers essential. Proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, or Haitian Creole is a plus.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging principles and procedures.
- Strict attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency with online databases and office applications.
- Ability to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner. Excellent customer service skills essential.
- Excellence in oral and written communication
- Ability to make decisions in an environment within time and resource constraints. Prioritization of tasks. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, city officials and the general public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexibility and creativity necessary.
- Commitment to excellence required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications. Flexibility to adapt to constantly changing technology necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (30 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. Certain tasks require the ability to view computer screens and print materials for extended periods of time. Certain tasks require verbal communication. Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Signed _________________________ Date _______________
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please send resumes to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us.
For a disability‐related reasonable accommodation or alternative application method, call Human Resources at 617-394-2280
The City of Everett is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Human.Resources@ci.everett.ma.us